SMARTaudiometerä Problem Prevention
Make your life less stressful…prevent problems before they interrupt your testing…or fix them as quickly as possible if they happen anyway!
These suggestions work best with software Release 5.11 or newer. Check the opening screens for the release you are using now. Updates are available free of charge. Please email us with your request.
1. Install an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) for your computer and audiometer. Plug BOTH of them, and nothing else, into the UPS. Even the smallest unit is enough to deal with the power-blink, tripped-over cord or popped breakers that you encounter on site. It can prevent computer or audiometer reset which could interrupt an ongoing test or even scramble electronic memories. These units cost less than $30 at Wal*Mart or other discount stores.
2. Consider eliminating floppy disks for Test-list and Audiogram storage, especially if you use Windows XP or later. The new and inexpensive flash-disk drives are much faster and more reliable. I had one go through the wash in my pants pocket and it has worked fine ever since. Try that with a floppy disk! Even the smallest ones you can buy can hold several years worth of testing data. Buy several small ones and rotate every month.
3. Make emergency copies of critical settings from your audiometer and your computer so that you can recover from equipment failure gracefully & quickly. Newer releases of the PC software will bug you until you do.
4. READ the Help screens in the program (press F1 to access) so you know what is there when you need it.
5. Have spare parts available. A Field Service kit is available from DHSC which can repair 99% of field failures. Call us at 479-925-7700 for pricing.